Which CMS, e-commerce platforms, and CDNs deliver the best core web vitals?
The SISTRIX team have compiled a really detailed look at 18.5 million domains and how they stack up against Google Core Web Vitals metrics. You can read their full study here.
The report provides some really interesting categorised analysis too - especially looking at various CMS offerings & e-commerce applications. Some results are surprising but on the whole the message is that there's no secret combination of technologies that guarantee great web performance results.
- WordPress is the 2nd poorest performing CMS, while WooCommerce (a WordPress plugin) is the worst performing e-commerce platform. That's not surprising considering WordPress fundamentally allows non-technical creatives to put together complex websites.
- Popular cloud CMS platforms like Wix and Squarespace lag behind other cloud CMS providers in performance.
- AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) isn't the most performant technology, despite being heavily pushed by Google.
- Fastly is by far the best performing of the CDNs that were called out in this study.
- Despite Google announcing that they'll be focusing on mobile first indexing, performance on mobile devices still lags behind desktop.
Enjoy this post?
I send out a fortnightly email newsletter called Optimised. It's a look at website performance, how it impacts your business, and what you can do about it.